When you think about a pet door in your home, maintaining the dog door replacement flap isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. But much like changing your furnace filter or cleaning your appliance, replacing the flap plays an important role in prolonging the life of your doggie door. It also helps maintain the value of your home because a pet door is considered a permanent fixture. Here’s a rundown of what you need to know about replacing a dog door flap.
Signs That It Is Time To Replace Your Dog Flap
Not sure how to tell when it’s time to swap out the doggie flap? Look for these signs:
- Yellowing and cracks. These are obvious signs of needing a dog door replacement flap. It’s the result of intense UV rays from the sun, and there’s plenty of it in Australia. Aside cosmetic reasons, you won’t see your pet as well through a flap that’s cracked and faded. New dog flaps have better visibility.
- Weaker magnet. Does the magnet strip seem like it doesn’t stick as much as it used to? It’s not your imagination. Magnet strips do wear out over time, which is a good reason why regular doggie flap replacement is important to help keep dirt and the elements outside your home.
- It gets dirty easily. This sign doesn’t seem as obvious, but you can tell if you carefully observe the doggie flap. New dog door flaps have a fresh protective sheen on the outside. That coating wears off over time as the flap gets older and breaks down. Dirt and debris can stick to it easier as a result.
How to Get a Dog Door Replacement Flap
By now you may be thinking, “Alright, you convinced me. It’s time to get around to it and replace my doggie door flap. But how do I do that?” Well, there’s three options you can do. It’s easier than you think:
- Buy the corresponding dog flap replacement size. Or, you can buy one and cut it to size. A number of replacement flaps are cut-to-fit sizes for several measurements.
- Call the pet door manufacturer. Replacement flaps may be covered under the pet door warranty. Or, you can purchase replacements directly from them and they will ship them to your home.
- Contact Australia Pet Doors! If you don’t know the manufacturer for your pet door or don’t have time to fuss with lengthy phone calls, simply contact our friendly staff at Australia Pet Doors. We take the guess work out of ordering replacement flaps. Maintain your pet door so your furry friend can continue to enjoy their freedom!