Cloud has become the new normal after COVID-19; many businesses came on board to use its potential and improve their customer experience under the cloud migration strategy.
We inspect the program code closely to find any defects, security flaws, or violations. It saves time and money that would otherwise be necessary to remedy the difficulties.
Establish the cloud migration architect role.
Before beginning the cloud migration, our organization must have a cloud migration architect who will lead the entire migration process – from pre-migration planning to post-migration monitoring and optimization under a digital transformation agency.
Some of the significant responsibilities of the migration architect would involve the following:
- Analyzing the organization’s readiness and migration complexity
- Designing the migration strategy
- Defining the solution requirements
- Prioritizing the applications and data for migration
- Determining the mechanism for production switchover
Assess your organization’s readiness
It includes the IT framework and the business process and structures.
- What is the aim of cloud migration?
- Which applications should we be moving to the cloud?
- Why do some applications need to be migrated?
- Is any data that must not be migrated for regulatory and legal reasons?
- Would the migration of these applications impact data security, disaster recovery, governance, and accessibility?
- What resources are required for the migration, and do we have them?
- Do we have enough capital and resources to migrate?
- How do we ensure compatibility between our on-premise and cloud deployments?
Estimate the costs and ROI
The decision to embark on a cloud migration journey heavily relies on the rigorous analysis of Cost and Return on Investment (ROI).
- Assess the costs of our current IT infrastructure and applications to have a baseline for comparison
- Use total cost of ownership calculators to forecast our cloud solutions costs and compare them to the current state under the cloud migration strategy.
- Gather data about our business case’s potential ROI on the cloud infrastructure under a digital transformation agency.
Analyze the complexity of your data and applications
It is a critical analysis of the success of our cloud migration project. This analysis will help us prioritize our applications and data for the migration project.
Remember, “Applications having more dependencies are the most difficult to migrate and shall be considered for migration in later phases.”
- Get detailed data on our requirements through a focused assessment process.
- Understand the interconnection and intercommunication among our applications
- Analyze the multi-tier dependencies and map our applications accordingly under a digital transformation agency.
- Get clear visibility into the entire working, communication, and dependencies between our applications and data under the cloud migration strategy.
Choose the right cloud vendor.
Some of the potential cloud vendors that are considered for our migration onto the cloud include:
- Amazon web services
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Platform
While evaluating the possible alternatives while choosing the right cloud vendor, consider the following factors:
- Our workforce
- Security and compliance needs
- Scalability requirements
- Service level agreement
- Support and maintenance
All of the above factors must be considered and analyzed before making the final decision. For each cloud mentioned above, vendors also have strategies for successful cloud migration on their respective platforms under the cloud migration strategy.
Develop a cloud migration strategy
Now that we have finished the required steps and decided on a cloud vendor after considering our business, cost, and other factors, let’s start putting the strategy in place.
Gartner pointed out one mistake that many organizations make is to confuse cloud strategy with a cloud implementation plan under the cloud migration strategy. So, what does cloud migration strategy entail?
- Prioritize the application that needs to be migrated
- Identify the right service provider
- Decide on the timelines
Formulating the strategy with a service provider or partner can accelerate the migration process and align us with a plan to enhance our business benefits under a digital transformation agency.
Select the right solution partner
Organizations often find it difficult or overwhelming to manage migration internally; choosing the right partner can ease the journey under a digital transformation agency.
This collaboration allows service providers to be responsible for structuring an end-to-end cloud migration journey, i.e., assisting us with an assessment to complete execution and support under the cloud migration strategy. Some factors that we should consider inevitably are:
- Business objectives and requirements
- Provider’s experience and expertise
- Provision of clear and responsive SLAs
- Adherence to the responsibility of security and integrity
- Pricing structure and details
- Level of availability and support
Prepare for the move.
Our strategy is in place! The focus should be on the change management required for our employees, like reskilling or upskilling, under the cloud migration strategy. But the big question is whether our team is ready to use the technology. Do they need any training?