Everyone wants clear, glowing skin, but for many skincare enthusiasts, facial blemishes seem to always get in the way of this goal. Although they are normal to have, these undesirable marks and spots make people less confident about themselves.
Many blemish treatment methods and products are starting to gain popularity worldwide. With skincare products becoming more accessible, removing facial blemishes has become easier and more affordable. But first, you must identify what type of blemishes you are dealing with to know the best and most appropriate treatment.
What Are Facial Blemishes?
You probably had those annoying moments when a huge pimple just magically appeared on your chin right before your date. Maybe you have been dealing with acne all your life. Regardless, the dreaded pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads are some of the most common skin blemishes people aim to get rid of.
Hyperpigmentation is also a type of skin blemish that causes uneven skin tone and dark marks. Others include papules or skin lesions, nodules, and even ingrown hair.
While genetics has a lot to do with how likely you are to get these imperfections, other factors contribute to the appearance of any mark, spot, or discolouration of the skin. These include the following:
- Sun exposure: The number one cause of skin damage is overexposure to the sun. Ultraviolet rays that get absorbed by the skin causes collagen to break down, resulting in faster aging and even acne breakout.
- Clogged pores: Dirt and dust can accumulate on your face and clog your pores. When these toxins are mixed with oil from your sebaceous glands, you can expect the formation of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads.
- Hormones: Hormonal changes, especially in women, causes overproduction of oil that mingles with dirt, dead skin cells, and bacteria on your face resulting in acne and other blemishes.
- Diet: What you eat can also affect your skin. If you are allergic to certain foods and suffering from contact dermatitis, you can develop skin irritation. Dairy products and food containing high levels of sugar can also lead to skin blemishes.
How Do You Get Rid of Them?
Skin blemish treatment can be done faster through proper skincare. You can follow this routine everyday to get clearer and healthier skin:
- Cleanse your face. Make sure to wash your face with a gentle cleanser every morning and before you go to bed. It will help remove oil, make-up and dirt that built up during the day and prepare your face for the next step.
- Exfoliate: Dead skin cells should be removed to avoid clogged pores. Exfoliation should be done at least once or twice a week using a physical or chemical exfoliator. It’s important to be gentle and find a product suitable for your skin type.
- Apply your treatment serum: Your treatment serum should be your holy grail for treating any skin blemishes. It should contain ingredients that will specifically target these flaws but at the same time leave the skin barrier intact.
- Moisturize: Apply a good moisturizer to lock in all the face products you applied to your face. This will also keep your skin hydrated and plump.
- Wear sunscreen: To protect your skin from premature aging, enlarged pores, and acne, apply sunscreen all year-round, even if the sun is not out.
Starting your skincare journey now will bring you one step closer to the skin of your dreams.